Fields, Christopher J | 9 Feb 07:25 2013

BioPerl future

All,

(cross-posting to gmod-gbrowse)

I want to gauge the community's thoughts on a few things.  At the moment I think we can safely say that BioPerl
1.x is in maintenance mode.  By 'maintenance mode', I mean that we can only do so much with it w/o breaking
backwards compatibility with old scripts.  We need a way forward so that we can address fundamental
problems within the core codebase, namely speed.

I am thinking at the moment of pushing a 'v1' branch next week after I make an official announcement, with a
new 1.6 release coming out from that branch (as already announced, tentatively scheduled for March 1).
That frees up master for any code development, removal of modules/cruft, etc.  This will open an initial
path forward and at least enable us to do more.  Make sense?  This of course means that any code reliant on v1
should pull from that branch instead of 'master'.

Thoughts?

chris

Gmane