From: Fields, Christopher J <cjfields <at> illinois.edu>
Subject: BioPerl future
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Sunday 10th February 2013 04:25:14 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Apologies if you receive this twice. I never received the replies from the
gbrowse list through bioperl-l so it is possible there were mail issues
last night.

------------------------

All,

(cross-posting to gmod-gbrowse)

I want to gauge the community's thoughts on a few things.  At the moment I
think we can safely say that BioPerl 1.x is in maintenance mode.  By
'maintenance mode', I mean that we can only do so much with it w/o breaking
backwards compatibility with old scripts.  We need a way forward so that we
can address fundamental problems within the core codebase, namely speed.

I am thinking at the moment of pushing a 'v1' branch next week after I make
an official announcement, with a new 1.6 release coming out from that
branch (as already announced, tentatively scheduled for March 1).  That
frees up master for any code development, removal of modules/cruft, etc.
This will open an initial path forward and at least enable us to do more.
Make sense?  This of course means that any code reliant on v1 should pull
from that branch instead of 'master'.

Thoughts?

chris

CD: 3ms