From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Carn=EB_Draug?= <carandraug+dev <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: module for description of sequence variants (where to place code)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Saturday 9th March 2013 14:03:50 UTC (over 3 years ago)

wrote:
>>> [...] at some point it might be worth thinking about whether we need to
>>> organize the various *Utils modules a bit better.  As most of these
export
>>> methods, they would be good targets for reorganization at some point
>>> (maybe into a general Bio::Utils namespace).
>>
>> Do you mean placing all of them into a separate Util distribution? I
>> think it makes more sense to keep them close to what they deal with.
>
> No, I agree we keep them in core.  I meant we should think about what
specific domain the various methods contained within those modules deal
with, and whether it would be best.  For instance, we also have an
AlignUtils, TreeUtils, etc; at some point it might be easier to collect any
of the *exportable* methods together in one common space.  At the moment
they're a bit scattered, some are exportable, some not…

How would you define exportable? I usually don't like the idea of
having functions exported by default. Specially since it's so easy for
the user to load them themselves.

Carnë

CD: 3ms