From: Fields, Christopher J <cjfields <at> illinois.edu>
Subject: Re: organizing a gene family in memory
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Monday 25th March 2013 12:54:21 UTC (over 3 years ago)
IIRC part of the intent of the cluster modules (Bio::Cluster) was to cover
some of this, for instance:

https://metacpan.org/module/Bio::Cluster::FamilyI

My feeling is they were trying to be too inclusive (I think some dbSNP
functionality was included here as well, which IMHO may be a bad fit).
Anyway, these haven't changed for many years; you're welcome to take a look
at them and see if they fit your needs.

chris

On Mar 25, 2013, at 1:40 AM, Carnë Draug  wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need something to keep a bunch of genes belonging to the same family
> organized. It is more than a plain hash since the family can be
> divided into multiple ways (subfamilies, types and classes) that
> overlap each other, but using a database seems overkill to me. I
> couldn't find a module on CPAN that does it so I might write one if no
> one suggests an alternative. Basically, with it I wanna be able to do
> something like this
>
>  my $histones = Bio::Family->new(
>      -classes      => ['canonical', 'variant'],
>      -types        => ['H2A', 'H2B', 'H3', 'H4'],
>      -subfamilies => [ ... ],
>  );
>
>  $histones->add_member ($seqob,
>      -class => 'canonical',