From: Fields, Christopher J <cjfields <at> illinois.edu>
Subject: Re: releasing Bio-Root
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Tuesday 2nd April 2013 13:00:53 UTC (over 3 years ago)

wrote:

>>> I have prepared the Bio-Root repo so a release can be made with
>>>
>>> dzil release
>>> git push --tags
>>>
>>> IF the development version of the BioPerl pluginbundles are installed.
>>> Note that Bioperl's dist zilla and pod weaver pluginbundles are still
>>> not available on CPAN. Could someone please upload them to CPAN or
>>> give me co-maintenance?
>>
>> You have co-maint on Dist::Zilla::PluginBundle::BioPerl.  Note that the
Pod::Weaver module wasn't in the original submission; we'll need you to
transfer primary maint to BIOPERLML when you can (you should still be
co-maint on it).

> Done. Version 0.20 of the pluginbundles have been released. BIOPERLML
> already has primary maintenance of the Pod Weaver plugin namespace.

Okay, that works for me.

>>> What to do about Bio::Root::Version? I didn't change its code, but I'm
>>> guessing it should be edited to do something so it keeps backward
>>> compatibility with this release. With the multiple distributions, this
>>> makes no sense since each of them may be a different version at any
>>> given time. Plus, BioPerl's distzilla pluginbundle uses the version
>>> plugin which already does it for each module.
>>
>> It will be deprecated for most use cases for the reasons you mention,
but yes it will need to be fixed to deal with things for the time being, at
least until we can get Dist::Zilla running for the main bioperl repo.

> By the way, I just noticed that Bio::Root::Build does not get the
> version from Bio::Root::Version, it has its own value hardcoded.
>
> Carnë

Yeah, that's due to the way it is implemented.  I have been pushing away
from using Bio::Root::Build, though, as it has some very specific hacks for
dealing with the original BioPerl installation process (same for
Bio::Root::Test re: tests) when we switched from MakeMaker to
Module::Build.  They may be deprecated if there isn't a broad need for
them.

chris

CD: 10ms