From: Bob Freeman <bob_freeman <at> hms.harvard.edu>
Subject: Bio::PrimarySeq obj?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Thursday 20th June 2013 23:27:34 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Hoping for an easy answer on this…

Using Bio::DB::Fasta to retrive a seqobj with get_Seq_by_id. I can print
the raw sequence with seqobj->seq(), but when I try to change and set the
raw sequence data (e.g. seqobj->seq("ACTT"), the change is ignored (as
evidenced when writing out to new FASTA file).

Looking under the hood with the Perl debugger, it appears that the object
returned is a Bio::PrimarySeq::FASTA, which points to the whole (indexed)
FASTA file; not what I had expected.

Is the PrimarySeq obj that is returned immutable? If so, is there an easy
way to 'copy' the object so that I can change the sequence and then write
this out to a different file?

Tx,

Bob Freeman, Ph.D.
Acorn Worm Informatics, Kirschner lab
Dept of Systems Biology, Alpert 524
Harvard Medical School
200 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA  02115
617/432.2294, vox

"Sorry I'm late. Oh, God, that sounded insincere. I'm late."
	-- Karen Walker, from Will and Grace

CD: 2ms