From: Jason Stajich <jason.stajich <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Bio::PrimarySeq obj?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Friday 21st June 2013 05:27:50 UTC (over 3 years ago)
I believe this is what you need - I do this all the time to write an
updated version of one that comes from the DB::Fasta DB.

my $newseq = Bio::PrimarySeq->new(-seq => $oldseq->seq, -id => $oldseq->id,
-description => $oldseq->description);

On Jun 20, 2013, at 4:27 PM, Bob Freeman
wrote:

> Hoping for an easy answer on this…
>
> Using Bio::DB::Fasta to retrive a seqobj with get_Seq_by_id. I can print
the raw sequence with seqobj->seq(), but when I try to change and set the
raw sequence data (e.g. seqobj->seq("ACTT"), the change is ignored (as
evidenced when writing out to new FASTA file).

> Looking under the hood with the Perl debugger, it appears that the object
returned is a Bio::PrimarySeq::FASTA, which points to the whole (indexed)
FASTA file; not what I had expected.

> Is the PrimarySeq obj that is returned immutable? If so, is there an easy
way to 'copy' the object so that I can change the sequence and then write
this out to a different file?