Jason Stajich | 21 Jun 07:27 2013
Picon

Re: Bio::PrimarySeq obj?

I believe this is what you need - I do this all the time to write an updated version of one that comes from the
DB::Fasta DB.

my $newseq = Bio::PrimarySeq->new(-seq => $oldseq->seq, -id => $oldseq->id, -description => $oldseq->description);

On Jun 20, 2013, at 4:27 PM, Bob Freeman <Bob_Freeman <at> hms.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hoping for an easy answer on this…
>
> Using Bio::DB::Fasta to retrive a seqobj with get_Seq_by_id. I can print the raw sequence with
seqobj->seq(), but when I try to change and set the raw sequence data (e.g. seqobj->seq("ACTT"), the
change is ignored (as evidenced when writing out to new FASTA file).

> Looking under the hood with the Perl debugger, it appears that the object returned is a
Bio::PrimarySeq::FASTA, which points to the whole (indexed) FASTA file; not what I had expected.

> Is the PrimarySeq obj that is returned immutable? If so, is there an easy way to 'copy' the object so that I
can change the sequence and then write this out to a different file?