From: Jason Stajich <jason.stajich <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Bio::PrimarySeq obj?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Friday 21st June 2013 23:09:47 UTC (over 3 years ago)
fork, change, commit, issue pull request - it will be incorporated.
Lincoln wrote the module to support gbrowse in the first iteration - I
think I have been annoyed by the same problems as you but found it was
easier for me to just create a new object most of the time rather than try
to worry about some of the speed things that it does under the hood.  I
think adding the warnings is your best bet though rather than retooling it
to allow objects to be mutable.

Jason
On Jun 21, 2013, at 5:08 AM, "Freeman, Robert M."
 wrote:

> So, a number of things bother me about this:
> - why is BioPerl deciding that I can't change this?
> - no warning is thrown when I try to change any value of the object
> - documentation does not indicate the object is immutable
> - documentation does not indicate that a PrimarySeq is returned.
> - Worse (at the time), the object is tied to the DB file, so when I
dumped the object in the debugger, it started dumping the whole DB Index.
Not sure why this decision was made.

wrote:

>>> Hoping for an easy answer on this…
>>>
>>> Using Bio::DB::Fasta to retrive a seqobj with get_Seq_by_id. I can
print the raw sequence with seqobj->seq(), but when I try to change and set
the raw sequence data (e.g. seqobj->seq("ACTT"), the change is ignored (as
evidenced when writing out to new FASTA file).

>>> Looking under the hood with the Perl debugger, it appears that the
object returned is a Bio::PrimarySeq::FASTA, which points to the whole
(indexed) FASTA file; not what I had expected.

>>> Is the PrimarySeq obj that is returned immutable?
>>
>> Right; the object is a lightweight representation IIRC and is designed
to be immutable, I'm sure b/c the data in the 'database' (file) can't be
changed.

>>> If so, is there an easy way to 'copy' the object so that I can change
the sequence and then write this out to a different file?

>>> Tx,
>>
>> I would copy them to a new Bio::PrimarySeq; it's lighter that a full
Bio::Seq and will work with Bio::SeqIO.  Might be worth adding a method to
Bio::DB::Fasta to do this for convenience.