Fields, Christopher J | 23 Nov 14:16 2013

Re: bioperl on CentOS 6.4

On Nov 23, 2013, at 5:49 AM, Leon Timmermans
<l.m.timmermans <at> students.uu.nl<mailto:l.m.timmermans <at> students.uu.nl>> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Fields, Christopher J
<cjfields <at> illinois.edu<mailto:cjfields <at> illinois.edu>> wrote:
Ah, this is the piece I was missing.  This looks like a problem with the local perl CPAN configuration; these
lines are the clue:

Package seems to come without Makefile.PL
(The test -f "/root/.cpan/build/CJFIELDS-T5oDhJ/Makefile.PL” returned false.)

We use Module::Build, not Extutil::MakeMaker; this is why there is no Makefile.PL.  I can try looking into
what may be going on; maybe try installing Module::Build to see if that addresses the problem?  There may be
an RPM for it, though it normally come with perl core.

The other clue is this line: "Writing one on our own (setting NAME to BioPerl)". If it can't find an install
tool, CPAN.pm writes a tiny MakeMaker.PL as a fallback. This pretty much should only happen on ancient
CPAN.pm versions. CentOS 6.4 ships with perl 5.10.1, which is not that ancient, however the default
install doesn't include cpan.

Leon

Yeah, it needs the perl-CPAN RPM.  For some reason I thought this was in perl-devel.

-c

Gmane