From: Fields, Christopher J <cjfields <at> illinois.edu>
Subject: Re: bioperl on CentOS 6.4
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Saturday 23rd November 2013 13:16:39 UTC (over 2 years ago)
On Nov 23, 2013, at 5:49 AM, Leon Timmermans

wrote:

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Fields, Christopher J
> wrote:
Ah, this is the piece I was missing.  This looks like a problem with the
local perl CPAN configuration; these lines are the clue:

Package seems to come without Makefile.PL
(The test -f "/root/.cpan/build/CJFIELDS-T5oDhJ/Makefile.PL” returned
false.)

We use Module::Build, not Extutil::MakeMaker; this is why there is no
Makefile.PL.  I can try looking into what may be going on; maybe try
installing Module::Build to see if that addresses the problem?  There may
be an RPM for it, though it normally come with perl core.

The other clue is this line: "Writing one on our own (setting NAME to
BioPerl)". If it can't find an install tool, CPAN.pm writes a tiny
MakeMaker.PL as a fallback. This pretty much should only happen on ancient
CPAN.pm versions. CentOS 6.4 ships with perl 5.10.1, which is not that
ancient, however the default install doesn't include cpan.

Leon

Yeah, it needs the perl-CPAN RPM.  For some reason I thought this was in
perl-devel.

-c

CD: 17ms