From: Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock <at> googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [Biojava-dev] (OT) Come work in New Zealand - Job: Senior Bioinformatician at AgResearch
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Wednesday 26th March 2014 23:08:06 UTC (over 2 years ago)
Hello Russell,

Is there a strong use of BioPerl or BioJava within the group?
Otherwise sending it to these lists does seem a bit off topic...

Peter
(I do Biopython so wouldn't qualify for the post on that basis ;) )

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Smithies, Russell
 wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I would like to bring the following position to your notice.  I would
also appreciate if this could please be circulated to your wider network.

> Thanx,
>

> --Russell

> Senior Bioinformatician
>

> AgResearch Ltd. New Zealand
>

> AgResearch is a Crown Research Institute with the purpose of enhancing
the value, productivity and profitability of New Zealand's agricultural
sector.  The Bioinformatics team supports scientific research in a range of
areas to the benefit of the pastoral agricultural sector.

> We are seeking a highly motivated individual with excellent training and
expertise in Bioinformatics to join our team.  The successful candidate
will be responsible for providing Bioinformatics consultancy to a range of
science projects.  Main duties will involve analysing high
throughput/high-dimensional 'omics data from mostly non-model organisms,
this includes the design, development, implementation and testing of
bioinformatics pipelines for Next-Gen Sequencing (NGS) data, assembly and
expression analysis of NGS data and contribution towards interpreting the
results.  Experience in working with Genotyping by Sequencing data would be
advantageous. The ideal candidate will also have some experience or an
interest in integrating multi-faceted 'omics data to understand underlying
systems
  and biological networks.  This is a senior and permanent position.

> The successful applicant will have a PhD or high level postgraduate
qualification in Bioinformatics (or related field) with at least five years
of related work experience.  A thorough knowledge of Unix, scripting
language (Perl/Python or similar) and an understanding of biological
databases along with various Bioinformatics tools is required.  This is a
highly collaborative role, where the incumbent will be working alongside
scientists on a regular basis thus requiring a good knowledge of Genetics
and Molecular Biology.  Strong communication skills, with the ability to
effectively articulate complex, technical information to the clients is
highly desirable. Other requirements are good organisational abilities
along with excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.

> The position will be based at our Grasslands campus in Palmerston North
and will be part of the wider Bioinformatics and Statistics team.
Palmerston North, a university city, is 30 km from the coast, 2 hours from
ski fields, and 2 hours from Wellington. The AgResearch Grasslands campus
is situated in pleasant rural surroundings with easy access to the central
city. The surrounding area offers many outdoor recreational opportunities.

> The position is available immediately and will be open until filled.
>

> For informal inquiries please contact Dr. Nauman Maqbool
([email protected]).
Applications including a CV highlighting relevant research experience, a
cover letter and contact details of three referees should be submitted
online at:

> https://careers.sciencenewzealand.org/jobdetails/ajid/S2um7/Senior-Bioinformatician-Grasslands,6109.html
>

> Only applications submitted online will be accepted.

> Attention: The information contained in this message and/or attachments
from AgResearch Limited is intended only for the persons or entities to
sender immediately.