From: Dave Messina <online <at> davemessina.com>
Subject: Fwd: edit to PAML.pm
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Saturday 29th March 2014 02:00:15 UTC (over 2 years ago)
Hi Volker,

Your revert does work for yn00 output, but unfortunately breaks the code
for another type of output (see Bug 3332,
https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3332),
one of many horrendous format
issues PAML brings.

I've committed a fix (12ddb53) that does special case parsing for yn00. I
haven't tested it extensively, so please don't hesitate to try it out and
submit an improved version via pull request at github if need be.

Best,
Dave

wrote:

>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> I am still using your BioPerl code that runs PAML and parses the program
>> output.  One of my workflows failed on a new installation, but ran ok on
an
>> older installation, and after a bit of searching I traced the error to
the
>> following lines in PAML.pm.  These lines parse a table in the PAM
output.
>>  The older version of PAML.pm parsed the first line correctly, while the
>> new version fails (it assumes that there is more than the species label
on
>> each line, including the first).  I reverted to the old parsing, and all
is
>> well (presumably, as I don't know whether something else required the
>> change for other reasons).  Thus, I propose to revert to the old code,
as I
>> did in the record below (PAML.pm is what I think it should be,
PAML.pmORIG
>> what is in BioPerl right now).
>>
>> Hope this makes sense.
>> Best, Volker
>>
>> /usr/local/share/perl5/Bio/Tools/Phylo
>>
>> Gerp.pm  Gumby.pm  Molphy  Molphy.pm  PAML  PAML.pm  PAML.pmORIG Phylip
>>
>> Fri Mar 21 21:28:05 EDT 2014
>>
>> []#diff PAML.pm*
>> 907c907,909
>> <         my ( $seq, $rest ) = split( /\s+/, $_, 2 );
>> ---
>> >         $_ =~ m/(.+?)\s*(-*\d+?\.\d+?.*)/;
>> >          my $seq = $1;
>> >          my $rest = $2;
>> []#
>>
>> will correctly parse a table like the following (produced by yn00):
>>
>> Nei & Gojobori 1986. dN/dS (dN, dS)
>> Am
>> Bt               0.076(0.0603 0.7926)
>>

>> --
>> Volker Brendel
>> Professor of Biology and Computer Science
>> Indiana University
>> Department of Biology & School of Informatics and Computing
>> 212 South Hawthorne Drive
>> Simon Hall 205C
>> Bloomington, IN 47405
>>
>> Tel.: (812) 855-7074