From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd-8fiUuRrzOP0dnm+yROfE0A <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: =?utf-8?q?Warning_=27Rcpp=E2=80=99_is_no_t_available?= =?utf-8?q?_--_package_installation_problem_on_a_cluster?=
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.r.rcpp
Date: Friday 28th January 2011 12:57:17 UTC (over 5 years ago)
(redirecting back to list for completeness)

On 28 January 2011 at 13:25, Marius Hofert wrote:
| Dear Dirk,
|
| thanks for the quick help. I met Martin this morning and he suggested to
write to this mailing list :-)

| The R version is 2.11.1 and Brutus runs CentOS 5.4. How can I fetch an
older Rcpp version? And do you know a server where we know for sure that
Rcpp exists there?

Every CRAN mirror has subdirectories Archive, you have to fetch the files
manually.  For ETH Zuerich:

	   http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/src/contrib/Archive/

	   http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/src/contrib/Archive/Rcpp/

For Rcpp and minqa I may get messy as minqa started to use some features we
put in when R 2.12 was around the corner. You may need some trial and
error.

Again, CentOS has R 2.12.* so my money would be on buying the cluster admin
some coffee and getting him to move R forward.

Dirk

| Cheers,
|
| Marius
|
| On 2011-01-28, at 13:13 , Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|

| > On 28 January 2011 at 11:30, Marius Hofert wrote:
| > | Dear Rcpp experts,
| > |
| > | My goal was to install optimx() on a cluster ("Brutus", ETH Zurich).
I installed other packages there with no problem. On installing optimx() I
received the error message:
| > |
| > | ## ==== start ====
| > |
| > | ** preparing package for lazy loading
| > | Error : package 'Rcpp' 0.8.2 was found, but >= 0.8.5 is required by
'minqa'
| > | ERROR: lazy loading failed for package ‘minqa’
| > | * removing ‘/cluster/home/math/hofertj/library/minqa’
| > |
| > | The downloaded packages are in
| > | 	‘/tmp/RtmpauAqix/downloaded_packages’
| > | Warning message:
| > | In install.packages("minqa", lib =
"/cluster/home/math/hofertj/library") :
| > |  installation of package 'minqa' had non-zero exit status
| > |
| > | ## ==== end ====
| > |
| > | so my next goal was to install the latest version of Rcpp. On doing
so, I obtained:
| > |
| > | ## ==== start ====
| > |
| > | Warning message:
| > | In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
| > |  package ‘Rcpp’ is not available
| > |
| > | ## ==== end ====
| > |
| > | I found an article [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3391631/installing-rcpp-in-r-2-10-on-ubuntu]
in which Dirk suggested to try a different mirror. But I get the same
message with other mirrors, e.g., install.packages("Rcpp", repos="http://cran.us.r-project.org").
| > |
| > | Why is package 'Rcpp' not available?
| >
| > What OS?
| >
| > What R version?
| >
| > CRAN itself keeps only the newest package; we sometimes encode things
like
| > 'Depends: R (>= 2.12.0)' and I suspect you are running an older R.  I
would
| > try upgrade R, or if you cannot, manually fetch an older Rcpp.
| >
| > In summary, this is likely to be a local admin'ing issue. I am CC'ing
Martin
| > who may know where to point you to.
| >
| > Thanks, Dirk

| > |