From: Larry Marburger <larry-r8HzG3WBxbD/ZK60PjY9QA <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: varnish not caching?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails.heroku
Date: Thursday 2nd June 2011 10:49:29 UTC (over 6 years ago)
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Chris Hanks
wrote:

> Huh. I remembered seeing somebody from Heroku say that they had their
> Varnish servers set up in a hash ring, which I thought would mean this
> kind of effect wouldn't happen, but I guess it does. It looks like
> they have 10 Varnish servers going - if I use Apache Benchmark to hit
> my server with 1000 simultaneous requests it hits my Rails app 10
> times before everything starts being served from Varnish.

This was their old setup. I don't know all the details, but with the hash
ring, if Varnish would crash your dyno would crash along with it--or at
least be inaccessible. Load balancing between several Varnish servers is
supposed to be much more resilient to individual Varnish instances
dropping.

--
Larry Marburger
Homeopathic Code Remedyologist