Miguel Garcia | 19 Oct 17:57 2009
Picon

[ANN] towards language-integrated query for Scala (yes, LINQ for Scala)

Hi all,

From time to time a new solution is proposed to the age-old problem of
transparent persistence.

Today is one of those days.

My team and I have reported on using compiler plugins to translate database
queries into SQL:1999, using a very capabable intermediate language (Ferry)
in connection with its very capable optimizer. After following developments
in this area for some time, I see some innovative aspects in the proposed
approach (e.g., an analysis of integration levels between programming and
query languages). So you might want to take a look.

Extending Scala with database query capability
in Journal of Object Technology, July-August 2010, (To appear).
http://www.sts.tu-harburg.de/people/mi.garcia/ScalaQL/ScalaQLpreprint.pdf

Absract

The integration of database and programming languages is difficult due to
the different data models and type systems prevalent in each field. We
present a solution where the developer may express queries encompassing
program and database data. The notation used for queries is based on
comprehensions, a declarative style that does not impose any specific
execution strategy. In our approach, the type safety of language-integrated
queries is analyzed at compile-time, followed by a translation that
optimizes for database evaluation. We show the translation total and
semantics preserving, and introduce a language-independent classification.
According to this classification, our approach compares favorably with
Microsoft's LINQ, today's best known representative. We provide an
implementation in terms of a Scala compiler plugin, accepting two notations
for queries: LINQ and the native Scala syntax for comprehensions. The
prototype relies on Ferry, a query language that already supports
comprehensions yet targets SQL:1999. The reported techniques pave the way
for further progress in bridging the programming and the database worlds.

regards,

Miguel

--
Miguel Garcia                                     miguel.garcia@...
Institute for Software Systems (STS), E-16

Gmane