martin odersky | 20 Mar 12:28 2010

Countdown to 2.8

Hi all,

I wanted to give you some update on the progress towards 2.8. We are
essentially feature complete now. There have been two late changes
which might affect builds.

One change is the move of ScalaSignatures from classfile attributes to
annotations. This should affect only tools that read the signatures
(scalap, IntelliJ, maybe other IDEs?).

Then there are some last minute changes to collections. In a number of
cases, we wanted to change the meaning of an operation. Examples are
Buffer.+ (is now copying) or Map.keys (now gives an Iterable).
Previously, we planned to deprecate these methods in 2.8 (they are
deprecated in the beta), remove them in some later version and then
reintroduce them even later after that. With -Xmigration this process
can now be sped up dramatically. We'll change the behavior of these
methods now, and provide the -Xmigration option to tell you where
meanings have changed.

For users of collection classes this means that if your code compiled
against 2.8 beta without deprecation warnings you should be OK. If you
had deprecation warnings you should have a close look at the output of
scalac -Xmigration. But it's a good idea anyway to compile everything
with -Xmigration at least once.

We are currently busy fixing bugs and plan to release a first RC
either next week or the week after that. We'll discuss the release
date on the next Scala meeting, Tuesday, March 23rd. If you need to
commit some stuff that would delay an RC after Thursday, March 25th,
we'd need your input by this Tuesday. Once we have the RC out, we'd
like to get feedback from all the major tool maintainers whether their
stuff runs with it. We'll not go to final without having received that
feedback.

Cheers

 -- Martin

Mail Delivery Subsystem
 to me

show details 12:27 PM (0 minutes ago)

    scala-internals@...

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the
recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for
further information about the cause of this error. The error that the
other server returned was: 550 550 <scala-internals@...> unknown
mailbox (state 14).