From: Alejandro Cabrera <cpp.cabrera <at> gmail.com>
Subject: [GSoC] Request for Feedback on Boost.Bloom Filter Project
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel
Date: Tuesday 21st June 2011 04:21:45 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hello all,

I'm writing to request feedback, suggestions, and advice from the Boost
community. I've been working on a Bloom filter data structure for about
a month and a half now. At this point, the following is complete and
available in the Boost Sandbox:
- working, basic prototype (insert & query operations, union & intersect)
- a test suite covering the public interface
- five examples
- documentation covering many aspects of the project (tested on Chrome
12 and 13, Firefox 4 and 6)

Before I proceed to the next phase, I need feedback. Specifically, I
need comments on:
- code quality: is there anything that stands out about my design,
naming convention, or implementation that could use improvement?
- documentation quality: was it informative, clear, and easy to
understand? Is there anything missing?

At this point, there are many directions the Bloom filter project can
go, and I need to know which direction would best serve the interests of
the community. For this, I would be very interested in hearing about:
- desired usage: do you have a project that could use a Bloom filter?
What kind of Bloom filter would you need?
- compression policy: would you be interested Bloom filters that could
be serialized to a compressed form and deserialized back into a
decompressed form?
- variants: there are a few planned variants listed in the design page
of the documentation (future directions). Do any of these seem
particularly useful to you?

To access the source, visit the sandbox here:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/bloom_filter/trunk/
To access the documentation, visit the sandbox here:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/bloom_filter/trunk/libs/bloom_filter/doc/html/index.html

All portions of the project assume the canonical Boost release model.
Namely:
$(BOOST_ROOT)/boost/bloom_filter
$(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/bloom_filter

Thanks!