roguex360 | 5 Jan 22:56 2009

Re: Binary region analysis and labeling - blobs - connected components

I have downloaded your Blob Analysis code and tried to make it run (in
Visual Studio 2008 with OpenCV 1.0 on 64 Bit Vista) but I keep getting
errors.

The main one that keeps popping up is:

"Windows has triggered a breakpoint in Blob Analysis Demo.exe.

This may be due to a corruption of the heap, which indicates a bug in
Blob Analysis Demo.exe or any of the DLLs it has loaded.

This may also be due to the user pressing F12 while Blob Analysis
Demo.exe has focus.

The output window may have more diagnostic information."

I do not understand what this means, and each time it pops up, it
opens the file "free.c" within Visual Studio.

This happens when I try it for any of the test images you supply, and
I have been unable to make the supplied Demo work successfully.

Please could you help me work out why it's not working?

I really need to be able to identify and label regions (blobs) from
binary images, and your code here seems to be the simplest way to do
this.

I have tried to install cvBlobsLib and cvBlob, but I can't understand
the instructions for either, so can't make them work.

Please help, thanks,
--rogue--

--- In OpenCV <at> yahoogroups.com, "Dave Grossman" <dgrossman2 <at> ...> wrote:

> I have just uploaded BlobAnalysis.zip to the Yahoo Groups OpenCV files
> section. It
> contains a set of programs that I wrote for binary region analysis and
> labeling.
>
> Binary region analysis (also known as connected component analysis)
takes a
> binary
> image as input and generates a list of all connected regions
(blobs). For
> each region,
> it provides the color, parent, area, perimeter, centroid, 2nd
moments, and
> bounding
> box. Parameters allow the user to specify the color of the border, the
> minimum blob
> area below which the blob is merged with its parent, and the ROI.
>
> Labeling (which is optional) generates a new gray level image in
which each
> blob is
> represented by pixels all of which have that region number, from 0
to 255.
> Any regions
> beyond 255 are also assigned 255. However, this limitation does not
affect
> the binary
> region analysis ,  which can cope with thousands of regions.
>
> The programs I have provided include a file that embodies the two
algorithms
> and a file
> that can be used to demo its operation on a variety of test images.
I also
> included a
> large number of test images that I received from many OpenCV users
over the
> past
> five years. I have used these images to do quality assurance of the
region
> analysis
> process. The labeling algorithm has not been as extensively tested, but
> since it is
> simple and it piggy-backs on region analysis, it requires little
testing.

> Instructions for use: Unzip the file into the directory of your
choice. Then
> create an
> Images subdirectory, and move all the images into that subdirectory.
>
> The algorithms have #define statements that can be used to configure
them
> either for
> C or C++. They have been optimized to be fast, making them suitable for
> images
> with a large number of regions. One of the test images has 257 disjoint
> regions.
>
> Also uploaded is a short explanation of the user interface. This
> documentation is in
> the form of an html page similar to those in the OpenCV manual.
>
> Finally, there is a documentation file in MS Word that explains binary
> region analysis.
> It discusses the specifics of the implementation, including some of its
> limitations.
>
> As usual with OpenCV, I am putting this code in the public domain.
Anyone is