From: Pierre Bernard pierre.bernard-EnFrZ4L17izQT0dZR+AlfA <at> public.gmane.org [macsb] <macsb-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: How do you handle localization?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.macosx.business
Date: Tuesday 3rd May 2016 17:10:40 UTC (over 2 years ago)
Hi!

With the release of HoudahGeo 5.0, I have now switched all my applications
to using base localization (+ auto-layout). Over the years I have used
different localization workflows. The first one localized NIB files after
the application was build. The latest one used Localization Suite to
create and update localized XIBs that were versioned with the source code.

On basic principle, I like base localization best. No XIBs are duplicated.
Strings are versioned with the source code. But the workflow has its
drawbacks. Auto-layout is both a blessing and a curse. XLIFF export/import
has a tendency to crash Xcode 6.

More surprising though is the fact that I did not find a XLIFF editor I
really like. I found native apps, web based solutions, abandonware, etc.

This made we wonder how many developers actually localized applications
themselves?
If you do, what tools do you use?

Currently I use Xcode to extract strings to XLIFF and edit these files
using Counterparts Lite. I version only the the .strings files. I see no
point in keeping the XLIFF files around.

Or is outsourcing localization the way to go?
I actually noticed that some of the web based XLIFF editors monetize by
offering localization services on their platform.

Pierre

CD: 13ms