Tristan Seligmann | 7 Jan 23:49 2008
Picon

Re: pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

* Barry Warsaw <barry <at> python.org> [2008-01-07 16:01:42 -0500]:

> On Jan 7, 2008, at 11:37 AM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>
> >> Python automatically adds ~/.python/site-packages to sys.path; this
> >> is
> >> added /before/ the system site-packages file.  An open question is
> >> whether it needs to go at the front of the list.  It should
> >> definitely
> >> be searched before the system site-packages.
> >
> > What about including the Python version in the directory name?  C
> > Extensions may not work correctly across versions, and bytecode will
> > get recompiled a lot if you're using multiple versions.  Also, if
> > this is a 2.6/3.0 change, it's likely that the *source* won't be
> > compatible across versions either.  :)
>
> D'oh, yes of course.  So make that:
>
> ~/.python/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages

In that case how about:

~/.local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages

or:

~/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages

I believe both of these locations are already in use by various systems
/ people, so it would fit in better with existing practice.

> IMO, it should be a true site directory.

This would be ideal.