Laurence Rowe | 18 May 14:06 2012
Picon

Re: Announcing SOX: Sequential Output of XML

On 18 May 2012 05:06, John W. Shipman <john <at> nmt.edu> wrote:
> My CGI script that generates a huge XHTML table has been running
> into storage limitations because it uses lxml to build the table.
>
> So I build a Python module that applications can use to generate
> any XML content as a stream, so you can generate arbitrarily
> large XML files with a trivial amount of storage:
>
>     http://www.nmt.edu/tcc/projects/sox/
>
> Features:
>
> - Like Fredrik Lundh's builder.py module, it takes very little
>   code to generate a lot of XML.  If you're unfamiliar with this
>   little gem, see here:
>
>     http://effbot.org/zone/element-builder.htm
>
> - The module insures that every start tag has a matching end tag.
>
> Feel free to try this package out (Creative Commons BY-NC-ND
> license).  I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

This sounds interesting, though the license you've picked seems to
prevent anyone actually using your software:

"No Derivative Works — You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work."

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

CC licenses are not designed for software, I suggest choosing
something more appropriate, perhaps a liberal license such as BSD/MIT
(this tends to be most appropriate for libraries and is used by lxml)
or the GPL.

Laurence