Michael Schneider | 13 May 16:29 2008
Picon

Re: Windows Testing

Scott,

I am replying to your email with good news.  Over the last couple of
days, the pypy devs have worked
to address the build issues that was triggering failures that occurred
during  the --allworkingmdoules windows translation.

If you perform an update from svn, and follow the instructions below,
you will have a running pypy exe.

We welcome you back with open arms, and have several opportunities for
you to improve pypy on windows.

I put together some notes that should help you get started again.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions,
Welcome back,
Mike

------------------- Individual Development Setup Environment
-------------------------

To setup your windows dev env:

1) Install or activate (vcvars32.bat) visual studio 2003
2) follow instructions on
http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/windows.html
3) install zlib, bz2 and openssl dev environments
     - install dll's into  Windows/system32
    - install  headers into vc/include/..
    - install lib files into vc/lib

4) download pypy from svn
5) cd pypy\translator\goal\
6) translate.py --text --run targetpypystandalone.py - -allworkingmodules

You should now have a running interpreter.

------------------- Buildbot support ------------------------------------
JP has setup pypy buildbots for windows, linux 64, and linux 32

Here is a link to the buildbot page:
http://office.divmod.com:10408/waterfall

Buildbot kicks off a nightly build at 7:00 EST, and can be triggered on
demand.

------------------ Proposed  Access to Windows VM on Scott's linux
box------------

This would be very valuable for debugging purposes.  Please go ahead and
set this up.
I would be happy to help you address any issues that arise.

---------------- pypy modules disabled on windows -------------------------

the file   pypy\config\pypypotion.py  defines which modules will be
include in the build.

on windows, we remove the following libraries from the translator built
with --allworkingmodules

A good project would be to finish some of the modules on this list.

if sys.platform == "win32":
    # unix only modules
    del working_modules["crypt"]
    del working_modules["fcntl"]
    del working_modules["termios"]
    del working_modules["_minimal_curses"]
    # modules currently missing explicit windows support
    del working_modules["signal"]
    del working_modules["_rawffi"]
    # modules with broken windows support
    del working_modules["mmap"]    # MLS - Added 5/11/08 - broken
    del working_modules["_socket"] # MLS - Added 5/11/08 - broken
    del working_modules["select"] # MLS - Added 5/11/08 - broken