From: Jeremy Baron <jeremy <at> tuxmachine.com>
Subject: Fwd: [Toolserver-l] Submit a talk to Open Source Bridge by Mar 16th, get WMF subsidy
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.pywikipediabot.general
Date: Saturday 10th March 2012 17:37:54 UTC (over 4 years ago)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sumana Harihareswara
Date: Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:50
Subject: Re: [Toolserver-l] Submit a talk to Open Source Bridge by Mar
16th, get WMF subsidy
To: Wikimedia developers <[email protected]>,
[email protected], [email protected],
[email protected]

On 03/10/2012 08:25 AM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> This year I want the Wikimedia technical community to have a strong
> presence at Open Source Bridge <http://opensourcebridge.org/> in
> Portland, Oregon, USA, June 26-29.  OSB is tech talks & hack sessions
> with hands-on technologists we want, for Foundation staff recruiting
> (the Portland tech scene has good people looking for jobs) and for
> volunteer recruiting and collaboration (tons of Mozilla people went
> there last year).  Good talks, clueful people, great food. :-)
>
> If you submit a talk and it gets accepted, tell me, and Wikimedia
> Foundation will partially subsidize or fully pay for your flight and
> hotel.  If you submit a talk and it doesn't get accepted but you still
> want to go, talk with me and I'll see what I can do.
>
> Call for talks:
> <http://opensourcebridge.org/blog/2012/01/announcing-the-2012-call-for-proposals/>
>  Ideas: the parser rewrite, Wikimedia Labs, how we scale and optimize
> performance on a shoestring budget, our git/gerrit migration, securing
> PHP-based webapps, various approaches to making our data more
> structured/semantic, collaborative design, lessons from our communities,
> JS hacks, hetdeploy, offline/mobile, geodata...
>
> Please forward.

(I should add -- also there would be complications if somehow lots of
Wikimedia people get their talks accepted and I can't budget to
subsidize all of them, or you can't get a visa to the US in time, or
some unforeseen thing comes up like that.  But I don't predict those
problems happening.)

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator