Pʀoмᴇтнᴇυs 0x01 | 13 Feb 02:51 2012
Picon

Re: Community-editable recipe/documentation site?

Hi Oleg,

I tried setting something up on wikia, but I'm not sure that it's the appropriate venue because there's no control over page editing. I set something up on google sites however, which seems to work better. What do you think of this? https://sites.google.com/site/sqlobject/

With Google Sites the spam problem will be fairly minimal (unauthorized users can only post comments), and there should be no problems with regards to hosting or outages either.

Let me know if you like this; I'll add you as either another editor or just transfer the site to you (I'm not too clear on how Google Site permissions work beyond 'can view' and 'can edit'). I don't mind helping run it, but my available time will fluctuate -- either way, it should be a lot easier to manage than dealing with spam from an open wiki.

-James

2012/2/12 Oleg Broytman <phd <at> phdru.name>
On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:55:06PM -0700, P??oм???тн?????s 0x01 wrote:
> I don't know if anyone would be interested in this, but maybe some kind of
> wiki or community-editable documentation/recipe site could be useful? This
> way we can submit our own recipes or tips/tricks and maybe grow the
> SQLObject user base?

  There were a few tries to create such a thing - all failed. A
community-edited site requires a dedicated administrator who will be
available 99% of her times - to resolve network and hosting problems, to
remove spam and so on. A few people tried to be such admins and all
deserted.
  Also a community-edited site requires a community, preferable an
active community - which I have failed to build, even worse - which I
destroyed. Shame on me.
  I'd certainly like to take another try, though. Would you want to be
the admin? What hosting do you propose?

Oleg.
--
    Oleg Broytman            http://phdru.name/            phd <at> phdru.name