From: Sam Lindley <Sam.Lindley-5WhEfG1TI8k <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Programming with handlers
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.science.types.announce
Date: Monday 10th June 2013 21:41:53 UTC (over 4 years ago)
[ The Types Forum (announcements only),
     http://lists.seas.upenn.edu/mailman/listinfo/types-announce
]

On Tuesday 18th June (next week), we are holding an informal workshop on
programming with handlers for algebraic effects, in Cambridge (further
details below). We appreciate that this is rather short notice, but
thought it may be of interest to some readers of the types list in the
vicinity.

Let us know if you would like to attend.

Regards,

Sam & Sam

---
Programming with handlers
Tuesday 18th June
Cambridge, UK

For a long time we have been aware of the algebraic structure of
computation and its relationship with monads. More recently the
algebraic structure of computation has been used as a basis for new
programming languages and new idioms for existing languages. Broadly
speaking, the programmer first specifies a class of effects using an
algebraic signature, and then specifies how those effects may be dealt
with using an algebraic structure for that signature (a "handler").

We've invited talks from the following groups. They have all been
involved in designing and implementing language support for
handlers. We hope to have time for discussion and demos too.

Matija Pretnar / Andrej Bauer (Ljubljana)
Eff: http://arxiv.org/abs/1203.1539v1

Edwin Brady (St Andrews)
http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~eb/drafts/effects.pdf

Ohad Kammar / Sam Lindley / Nicholas Oury (Cambridge, Edinburgh)
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/slindley/papers/handlers-draft-march2013.pdf

Conor McBride (Strathclyde)
Frank: https://personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/conor.mcbride/pub/Frank/TFM.pdf

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

CD: 4ms