From: David Johnston <dj-0ozViSyrzglBDgjK7y7TUQ <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Intel RNG - RdSeed
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.security.cryptography.randombit
Date: Sunday 22nd July 2012 05:35:47 UTC (over 6 years ago)
If you thought RdRand caused a lot of chatter on this list, we've just
announced a new sister instruction.. RdSeed.
It's here.. http://software.intel.com/file/45207

RdSeed is SP800-90B &C and X9.82 parts 2 & 4 compliant in the XOR
construction. But they're all draft specs so things could change.
RdSeed is to RdRand as /dev/random is to /dev/urandom. It returns 100%
entropy (minus epsilon if you're picky).

Since it is dependent on the supply of entropy and has quite a
conservative conditioning ratio, its maximum throughput is less than
that of RdRand.

We haven't released anything other documentation on this yet, so until
we do, this is as good a place to ask questions as any.

DJ

CD: 66ms