José Joaquín Atria | 22 Apr 19:04 2012
Picon

Re: Digest Number 2405 Tab Key in Linux

In my case, I know I can play it by clicking the boxes below, but find it
inconvenient sometimes because, if I'm making a number of selections,
moving the mouse away from the oscillogram/spectrogram area and down to the
bottom is a lot slower than simply pressing a key.

As an aside, do you think we could come up with a different key
combination? The good thing about using the TAB key, as I see it, is that
most of the time (and I'm only thinking about right handed people here) the
left hand is free when you are moving the mouse, so using the TAB key is
very convenient. But this is not really the case with Ctrl+H, which
involves a right-handed key (H) and a left-handed key (Ctrl) to work. If
that's going to be the shortcut in Linux from now on, I can't say I see
myself getting around to using it that much.

I think the best option would be to have a good default value that involves
only left-handed keys and some sort of key-binding menu where each person
could configure it to suit their own particular needs (which would also
work for left-handed users).

José Joaquín Atria

www.pinguinorodriguez.cl

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Paul Boersma <paul.boersma@...> wrote:

> **
>

> Op 19 apr 2012, om 21:28 heeft Stephen Taylor het volgende geschreven:
>

> > > like other users, I was frustrated by the absence of the Tab key
> function in linux.
> >
> > > I decided to use the control-T key for this purpose.
>
> OK, this will be Command-H from version 5.3.14 on. While Command-T is used
> in some editor windows to add e.g. a pitch target, Command-H is never used
> in Praat, because it has a special system-wide meaning on MacOS X.
> Therefore, Command-H is free fur special purposes on Linux, such as playing
> the selected part of a sound.
>
> I'm wondering, though, whether people who regret the absence of the Tab
> key for playing sound on Linux realize that one can also just click on the
> rectangles above or below the selection, which feels much easier to me
> (especially because usually the action of dragging the mouse to select a
> part of the sound precedes wanting to play it). Is the mouse click perhaps
> difficult to find, or are there indeed user interaction sequences where the
> Tab key is easier than a mouse click?
> _____
>
> Paul Boersma
> University of Amsterdam