From: WinEdt Team <support <at> winedt.com>
Subject: Re: is MikTex 2.8 stable enough to replace 2.7?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.tex.miktex
Date: Friday 18th September 2009 21:21:08 UTC (over 7 years ago)
> 2009/9/18 Colin McLarty :
>
>I moved to 2.8 and it has gone fine.
>
> The only problem I had is that 2.8 is even less linked in to WinEdt
> than 2.7 was.  With 2.7 the WinEdt update button stopped working and I
> had to update directly through MiKTeX, and with 2.8 the same happened
> with the file name updater.  (The technical reason seems to be that
> the WinEdt fndb updater does individual mode fndb update.  But
> individual mode does not work even for an individual user, you have to
> use administrative mode, and WinEdt can't access that mode.)
>
> MiKTeX 2.8 seems designed to work with TeXworks more than with WinEdt,
> and includes TeXworks.

As far as I can tell MiKTeX 2.8 is not designed with any
particular editor or front-end application in mind. This choice
is left to users (as always).

WinEdt indeed provides an interface to MiKTeX Maintenance
accessories in its menu and toolbar. Default settings in older
versions of WinEdt cannot anticipate changes in newer versions
of MiKTeX but they can be easily modified to run with MiKTeX
2.7 or 2.8. In particular, the macro that calls MiKTeX Options

 Run('mo.exe');

should be modified to

 Run('mo_admin.exe');

The same with package manager. Replace

 Run('mpm.exe');

with

 Run('mpm_mfc_admin.exe');

And the update in 2.8 should be defined (in one line) as:

 Run(|%$('TeX-Root');\miktex\bin\internal\copystart_admin.exe
     "%$('TeX-Root');\miktex\bin\internal\miktex-update_admin.exe"|);

In WinEdt this is done through the menu setup where these items
are defined for the purpose of WinEdt's interface. You can see
and compare definitions of the original items that come with
MiKTeX by right-clicking them in the Start Menu and choosing
the properties (one at the time).

All three definitions in MiKTeX 2.8 have indeed changed and may
change again in the future. Perhaps defaults in WinEdt should
avoid these items since up-to-date versions (that come with
MiKTeX) are always available in the Start Menu...

That's all. Now you know what to do. OK?

I will make sure that the next version of WinEdt is compatible
with the above changes...

The latest version of MiKTeX 2.8 performs well and it is stable
enough to replace 2.7 (at least for my purposes). Well done,
Christian (and thanks)!

best regards,

alex

http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconf