Brian de Alwis | 28 May 02:02 2009

Survey on DVCS usage and experience

Hello everybody.  I'm part of a team conducting a survey to understand
the perceived benefits and challenges of using a decentralized or
distributed version control systems (DVCS) in software development.
Presuming that most people on this list have used a DVCS :)  we would
like to invite all people over 18 years old to participate in our survey
and share your experiences.  Details on partcipating are below.
Thanks for your time!

Brian.

An increasing number of software projects have or are considering
switching their code repositories to a decentralized or distributed
VCS (DVCS).  There are many such DVCS tools, including git, bzr,
mercurial, monotone, or bitkeeper.  We are conducting a survey to
assess the perceived benefits and challenges of using a DVCS.  We
would ask that any individuals who use or are comfortable using a
DVCS for managing the artifacts for a project to please consider
completing the survey.  The survey has several open-ended questions,
and may take up to 20 minutes to complete.

The data collected from this study will be used in articles for
publication in journals and conference proceedings.  The results
of this study will provide additional knowledge and guidance for
projects considering moving to using a DVCS.

This is an anonymous survey.  Any personal information divulged
in answering a question will be kept strictly confidential.

The survey is at:

    http://www.cs.usask.ca/~bsd178/research/dvcs-survey/

Please feel free to redistribute this to other interested groups.

If you would like more detail about the survey, or information not
included here, please contact us.

    Brian de Alwis
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Saskatchewan
    brian.de.alwis <at> usask.ca

This research has the ethical approval of the Research Ethics Office
at the University of Saskatchewan.  If you have any concerns about your
treatment or rights as a research subject, please contact the office
at 306-966-2084.

Brian de Alwis | HCI Lab | University of Saskatchewan
On bike helmets: "If you think your hair is more important than your
brain, you're probably right."  (B. J. Wawrykow)

Gmane