Drummond Reed | 28 Nov 21:15 2009
Picon

Re: [OpenID] Case for a unified scheme for OpenID "oid:"

John,

Some will *always* argue that XRI "is or has died". But as you know, XRI is alive and well, and with XRD 1.0 finally out, the XRI TC is making steady progress on having XRI 3.0 out by the end of the year (I personallly have been the biggest bottleneck due to other obligations, but I"m committing to getting it out in that timeframe). For those following John's thread, XRI 3.0 is the adjustment to XRI architecture that places XRI completely within URI architecture to deal with W3C TAG's objection to XRI 2.0.

In any case, I feel very very strongly that whatever OpenID v.next does about identifiers, it MUST address the issue of consistent handling and mapping of persistent, non-recycleable identifiers and non-persistent, reassignable human-friendly synonyms for those identifiers. Until it solves that issue, OpenID will carry a huge security hole which will rule it out for many of the uses for which it otherwise would appear to be a good solution.

(For reference, Information Card/IMI architecture filled that security hole with the PPID mechanism built into Information Cards. However Information Cards rely on a different discovery mechanism. The best of both worlds would be to have the discoverability of OpenID with the automatic persistent identifier protection of Information Cards.)

=Drummond