From: Richard MAHONEY <r.mahoney-Vsgb8aUySy6lP80pJB477g <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: CPSRSS-0.9.0 | CPS-3.4.5 | How to enable/configure
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.web.zope.cps.devel
Date: Wednesday 16th April 2008 00:15:51 UTC (over 9 years ago)
[My apologies for cross posting, I'm not sure which list is most active
now)

Dear Readers,

Currently I'm using SPIP to syndicate a number of external RSS feeds
(1.0 and 2.0) at Indica et Buddhica - Tabulae:

 http://tabulae.indica-et-buddhica.org/

SPIP has excellent support for incorporating and managing external
feeds but unfortunately the performance and scalability of SPIP/PHP --
within my environment at least -- does not come anywhere close to CPS
-- which I've happily been using for a long time for the top level
domain of Indica et Buddhica:

 http://indica-et-buddhica.org/

I'd very much like to migrate all of the material held by SPIP to my
existing instance of CPS. I was hoping to be able to manage the RSS
feeds with the CPSRSS-0.9.0 that comes bundled with CPS-3.4.5.

After spending a good while reading documentation (including
CPSRSS-0.9.0/README.txt - ancient??) and various mailing list queries,
and trying to set up some test feeds, I am failing to make any real
progress. This is what I've done so far:

1./ manually installed and tested CPSRSS using the CPSRSS Installer
(unnecessary now that CPSRSS is already installed by default?)

2./ Added a few channels using the `portal_rss tool'

3./ Tested that the feeds were correctly retrieved by using the
`refresh tab' then reviewing the feed `properties'. **Problem: no
additional title and description details seem to have been retrieved
from the actual feed.**

Leaving this, I went to the `Theme Editor' then `Portlet Editor' and:

4./ tried to add an `RSS Portlet' to the default page. On the surface,
this seems to have been successful, with a drop-down list of the RSS
channels added via the `portal_rss tool' being available.
Unfortunately, though, the RSS Portlets contained no data, presumably
as the refresh at step 3./ failed to retrieve material from the actual
feed?

As you can see, I'm a little at a loss at this point and would be
grateful for any comments or suggestions. Any pointers?

Kind regards,

 Richard MAHONEY

--
Richard MAHONEY | internet: http://indica-et-buddhica.org/
Littledene      | telephone/telefax (man.): +64 3 312 1699