Karen Coyle | 21 Sep 18:33 2006
Picon

Service-Oriented Architecture

Peter Murray has posted a piece on using a Service-Oriented Architecture
for the design of library systems.
   http://dltj.org/2006/09/services-in-soa/

I think this is the direction many designers are going, and it's nice to
see it clearly articulated. Actually, many systems already *do* this,
although they are often doing it in spite of the ILS design. What we
don't have yet is an analysis of what this means at the level of data
structures and systems design. Peter does say that his next post will be
a look at the "disaggregation" of the ILS (which sounds like what I've
called the "dis-integrated library system.").

SOA should definitely be one of the scenarios in our work. I'll add it
to the wiki.

kc

--
kcoyle <at> kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net