From: Elazar M. Teitz <remt <at> juno.com>
Subject: Shabbos King
Newsgroups: gmane.culture.religion.jewish.avodah
Date: Thursday 1st September 2011 20:13:20 UTC (over 6 years ago)
RDavid Bannett wrote:

> I hope it does not make any staunch feminist on the list feel downgraded,

 but the Rambam, in Hilkhot Shabbat 30 Halakha 2, uses the term Shabbat
 Hamelekh.  He does not mention Shabbat Hamalka in Mishne Torah<

And RMicha Berger responded:
>I would like to propose that it rests on whether one has our girsa in
Shabbos 119a of "Shabbos haMalkah", with a hei, or whether R' Chanina is
taken as speaking of "Shabbos haMalka", with an alef. Although perhaps
the Rambam's girsa was further from ours, since the rest of R' Chanina's
quote "Bo'u veneitzi liqeras Shabbos haMalkah" is Hebrew more than Aramaic
-- Aramaic would be "asyon unefaqon" (diqduq?) not "bo'u veneitzei".

In any case, is this a da'as yachid of the Rambam? As I already noted,
it's certainly not what reaches us in the zemiros<

     "Shabbos hamalka," with an alef, is neither Hebrew nor Aramaic.  In
Hebrew, there would be a hei at the end, and it denotes "the queen."  In
Aramaic, the word for "the king" is "malka;" with an alef, and "malk'sa"
for queen. Aramaic has no hei hay'dia for its nouns.

     In fact, there are two girsaos in the g'mara.  The Rif has "Shabbos
malka" with an alef; obviously, so did the Rambam, and the Maggid Mishne,
in citing the Rambam's souurce, likewise quotes the g'mara as "malka," with
an alef.  Thus, they agree that the reference is to king, and not queen.
The Rosh has the girsa "malk'sa,"  which   refers to Shabbos as queen.  Our
g'mara, which has "hamalka," follows the Rosh's understanding, but has it
in Hebrew, rather than in Aramaic.

EMT