Jennifer Schneider | 8 Aug 04:08 2008
Picon

RE: Need Advice/Assistance for Course in "Discourse &Power"

Hi!

Given your themes, you might check out the documentary *The Life and Times
of Harvey Milk.*  And I suppose *American History X* immediately comes to
mind, too.  My students often mention that film as having had an impact on
them.

Jen

Jen Schneider, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Liberal Arts and International Studies
Managing Editor, Engineering Studies
Colorado School of Mines
Stratton Hall 406, 1005 14th St.
Golden, CO  80401

Ph:  303-273-3628
jjschnei <at> mines.edu
-----Original Message-----
From: cultstud-l-bounces <at> lists.comm.umn.edu
[mailto:cultstud-l-bounces <at> lists.comm.umn.edu] On Behalf Of
Fredavacdb <at> aol.com
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 3:32 PM
To: CULTSTUD-L <at> lists.comm.umn.edu
Subject: [cultstud-l] Need Advice/Assistance for Course in "Discourse
&Power"

Colleagues,

Please forward any suggestions, syllabus, or ideas for films for a new
undergraduate course I will be teaching "Discourse, Power & Social
Identity."

In the class, we will be examining issues of free speech Vs hate  speech.
Some of the texts I will be using are "Understanding Words  that Wound" &
the
"Discourse Reader" w/ supplemental readings from critical  theorists and
linguistics. I would really appreciated any ideas for films.

Thanks for your time and assistance it will be very much appreciated.

Fredi Avalos
Cal State, San Marcos
Communication/Media Studies

Read reviews on AOL Autos.