From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgouttes-0hXrFu2P2+c <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Inset Compromise Proposal
Newsgroups: gmane.editors.lyx.devel
Date: Monday 8th October 2007 08:54:29 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Abdelrazak Younes  writes:
> Martin Vermeer wrote:
>> So:
>>
>> - Noun should become an inset charstyle (lyx2lyx)
>> - Strong should take a similar slot as Emph, i.e.
>>   a (non-inset) "font" attribute.
>>
>> But:
>>
>> - Code should be an inset charstyle. Something either
>>   is, or isn't, code. Objective meaning.
>>
>> Sounds like a plan?
>
> That's sounds good but JMarc doesn't want two different solutions. Or
> did I misunderstood you JMarc?

Personally, I tried to find other editors that are likely to implement
similar things. Since my imagination is not very broad, I only found
KompoZer (aka nvu), which is the grand-son of the netscape composer.
This editor uses ranges for formatting, with what looks like the range
boxing algorithm discussed here earlier.

There is however one idea we could borrow from: the status bar shows
the hierarchy of objects we are in (in our case, it could be
"Branch, Footnote). We do this in mathed. However, in nvu, clicking on
one of this labels selects the corresponding object. I think this
could be a nice think to do (and can be extended to font ranges).

But I see that I digress :) What was the question? Ah, yes, the mixed
inset/range model. I cannot say that I am enthusiastic about it. I
think that a mixed model is a bit confusing. We have to make up our
mind in one way or the other and propose a model.

JMarc

CD: 4ms