From: WinEdt Team <support <at> winedt.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Problem with DDEOpen and Adobe X and WinEdt 6.0
Newsgroups: gmane.editors.winedt
Date: Tuesday 31st May 2011 18:50:09 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Mahes, John,

> The fix that I used was for Acrobat X with Winedt 5.5. I believe
> that the fix for Acrobat X with Winedt 6 is somewhat different.
> Someone else might have posted the fix for the latter.

The fix is essentially the same for all versions of WinEdt:

DDE Service Acroview has to be changed to AcroviewR10 or
AcroviewA10 (depending on whether you are using Adobe Reader of
Acrobat). WinEdt 6 is better at automatically adjusting the value
but that can fail if Adobe decides to change things again or if
your registry contains conflicting values.

> > > I am using WinEdt 6 [Build: 20110119 (v. 6.0)] and Adobe Acrobat X
> > > Pro,
> > > and I get the following error message if I run PDFTexify with the
> > > previously created document still open:
> > >    Cannot Open DDE Link to:
> > >    "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
> > >    Service: Acroview
> > >    Topic: Control

DDEOpen("%$('PDF-View')","%$('Acro-DDE_Service');","%$('Acro-DDE_Topic');");

> > Try:
> >
> >   DDEOpen("%$('PDF-View')","AcroviewA10","%$('Acro-DDE_Topic');");
>
> This fix worked earlier but adobe upgrades have destablized it.
> What should I do now. I a winedt upgrade in order?

The above manual fix actually refers to WinEdt 6!

WinEdt upgrade will not likely change anything and I doubt that
Adobe upgrades "destabilized" this functionality (whatever this may
mean). Check the error message carefully and see if it is the same
as above. In particular, if Service in the message is again
"Acroview" then your fix was somehow overwritten (it does not
happen by itself but then I don't know what happens on your
machine).

Since Adobe X can no longer reopen a document at the previous
position after it was recompiled you may simply consider closing
Adobe manually before you try to recompile and your problem with
locked file will be solved. I suspect that in one of the future
versions of Adobe DDE functionality will change again and
eventually it will probably be silently dropped all together. There
are other PDF viewers more suitable for working with externally
compiled pdf files (light-weight Sumatra or PDF-XChange come to
mind -- and many others are being developed these days). If for
some reason you need real Adobe to preview working versions of your
documents then you will have to put up with some Adobe blues
because Acrobat is not (and never was) designed as a working
previewer for pdf documents created by TeX. New features in Adobe X
have more to do with security of Adobe's corporate clients than
anything that would benefit TeX users:-)

Hope this explains things.

Best regards,

alex

CD: 4ms