etips | 4 Oct 14:02 2006

English tips from Road to Grammar

Hi everyone,

Here are some words that might confuse you without you even realizing:

Funny has two meanings. As well as the normal meaning, it can mean ‘strange’, as in:

There’s something funny going on here.

Poor also has two meanings. Sometimes we say it just to show sympathy:

Poor Edward, his wife has left him.

(This doesn’t mean Edward has no money!)

When we match this word with ‘can’, the meaning is ‘know’:

Can you tell that he is from France from his accent?

(Do you know that he is from France from his accent?)

Good luck with your English and don’t forget to visit

Our Message Board:
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional