From: <etips <at> roadtogrammar.com>
Subject: English tips from Road to Grammar
Newsgroups: gmane.education.english.belajar-english
Date: Wednesday 4th October 2006 12:02:47 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Hi everyone,

Here are some words that might confuse you without you even realizing:

Funny

Funny has two meanings. As well as the normal meaning, it can mean
‘strange’, as in:

There’s something funny going on here.

Poor

Poor also has two meanings. Sometimes we say it just to show sympathy:

Poor Edward, his wife has left him.

(This doesn’t mean Edward has no money!)

Tell

When we match this word with ‘can’, the meaning is ‘know’:

Can you tell that he is from France from his accent?

(Do you know that he is from France from his accent?)

Good luck with your English and don’t forget to visit
www.roadtogrammar.com

Our Message Board: http://belajarenglish.proboards76.com

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: