From: Wael Ali <wael_u <at> yahoo.com>
Subject: Dickens' English
Newsgroups: gmane.education.english.learningenglish
Date: Saturday 1st October 2005 13:00:45 UTC (over 11 years ago)
"He Threw himself on his unmad bed whose sheets he had often made wet
with his wasted tears".

A sentence from "A Tale of Two Cities" for Charles Dickens...
It attracted me alot, it is too-long-one-sentence with alot of
information.

"He Threw himself on his unmad bed"
Then he started to take about the bed
"whose sheets"

then he described the bed as an object of the subject

"he had often made wet with his wasted tears".

He descriped the man and the bed... integrated the action with past
actions in one sentence.

I do not know, but it attracted me, and I liked it.

is this -the English of Dickens- what we can call "A perfect
upper-class English" ?

DonorsChoose.org helps at-risk students succeed. Fund a student project
today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O4u7KD/FpQLAA/E2hLAA/IWOolB/TM