Gavin Spomer | 26 Jul 18:06 2011

RE: Re:Can't Start Ezproxy

Thanks John.

Yeah, I saw that info on the osdir.com and oclc sites when I Googled and did a site search on oclc.org.

I'm not even sure HOW I'd be running it twice from the same directory. I would think the startup scripts would in /etc/init.d would handle this intelligently. I was looking for ezproxy processes with ps anyways.

Yes, EZProxy up and running IS good. :)

- Gavin

>>> John Benedetto <jbenedet <at> unm.edu> 7/26/2011 8:48 AM >>>

Gavin,

<http://osdir.com/ml/education.ezproxy/2004-08/msg00189.html>
"IPC is short for inter-process communication. This file stores details on the EZproxy process "

and

<http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/ezproxy/pdf/ezproxy_upgradeguide.pdf>
"The IPC file (named ezproxy.ipc) is now being created on Windows platforms. This resolves the possibility of multiple instances of EZproxy being started on a server out of the same directory."

It DOES sound like a lock file.  But it also sounds REAL important, and you should make sure that you aren't running EZProxy twice from the same directory.

Since you got it up and running, that's good, right?

John

>>> On 7/26/2011 at 9:16 AM, Gavin Spomer <spomerg <at> cwu.EDU> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for your reply Chris. As long as EZproxy isn't *stopped*? I couldn't
> *start* it.
>
> Anyways, it's moot because I backed up the ezproxy.ipc file, deleted it and
> then ezproxy started up and stayed up fine. I would like to understand the
> purpose of this file a bit more if you had the time to explain it, but it's
> not crucial to know. I did a search on the OCLC site, but any info that had
> to do with ezproxy.ipc seemed to be Windows (Yuck) related.
>
> We're using version 5.4.0 GA; I see that version 5.4.1 is available now from
> the OCLC site, so I will upgrade immediately. I must have missed/deleted a
> few too many emails from my inbox.
>

> - Gavin

> Gavin,
>
> As long as EZproxy isn't stopped, you can just delete the file.
>
> Are you by any chance running EZproxy 5.4?  The scenario you described was
> identified as being a possibility during 5.4.1's development, and changes
> were made to 5.4.1 that should prevent it.
>
> Chris

You are currently subscribed to ezproxy as: gee-ezproxy2 <at> m.gmane.org.
To unsubscribe, send request to scacad <at> itec.suny.edu

Gmane