From: Akshay Jain <akshayj1987-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: (GRE Success! ) Select a Univ. from admits
Newsgroups: gmane.education.gresuccess
Date: Sunday 1st April 2012 12:02:15 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Hi Srihari,

I did a search on the professors on CiteSeer and also looked through there
publications. Please find my observations below (Sorry, if it seems very
lengthy):

*University of Central Florida*:
There are 4 profs related to Vision who are members of 2 vision related
labs. Of these 4,
profile of 2 looks very interesting. They are:

1. *Dr Mubarak Shah* <http://vision.eecs.ucf.edu/faculty/shah.html>:
He is
the head of Computer Vision lab. Has written some books and many journals
on Computer Vision. Shows 198 results when searched on CITESEER. Has
received several awards for best prof. etc and an award for bringing most
funding to UCF. Is associated with UCF since 1986. On his CV it is written
that 'According to Google the CV lab at UCF is the most visited Computer
Vision lab in the world'. His CV alone with all the publications has 63
pages.
Has guided 14 PhD students and has 19Phd students right now. But only 1 MS
student listed on website.

2. *Dr Hassan Forroosh* <http://www.cs.ucf.edu/%7Eforoosh/>:
He is the head
of Computer Imaging Lab. Various related publications are listed on his
website, from 1994 to present.  Dr. Foroosh is a senior member of IEEE, and
was an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Image Processing in
2003-2008. In 2004, he was a recipient of an academic excellence award from
Sun MicroSystems, and the Pierro Zamperoni award from the International
Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR). He also received the Best
Scientific Paper Award in the International Conference on Pattern
Recognition of IAPR. His research has been sponsored by NASA, NSF, ONR,
FPCE, and industry (as written on his website). A search on cite seer
resulted in 13 results. Prior to UCF he was research scientist at UCB and
UMDCP. Has done his PhD from France.

3. *Niels da Vitoria Lobo:* Has 3 patents on his name.

4. *Marshall Tappen:* Has done PhD from MIT. Has many publications listed.
But said he does not advise grad students currently.

Research and publications of 1 and 2 are in line with the research I wish
to pursue.

*University of Missouri, Columbia:

1. Dr Guilherme de souza: <http://web.missouri.edu/%7Edesouzag/>
*Director
of Vision Guided Intelligent Robotics Lab*. *This lab is listed by NASA for
robotics <http://robotics.nasa.gov/students/robo_u.php>.
Has told that he
will be happy to consider me as a grad student under him, though he cannot
guarantee funding right now. He also insists that student choose the
research topics they are interested in, rather than he giving a research
topic.  Has published many papers on Robotic Vision and co-authored 3 books
on Robotic Vision along with many journals.* *Search on CiteSeer resulted
in 21 results with all the publication very interesting. His research
excites me the most. Has done PhD from Purdue Univ.
Has received the following awards.
        2004 Outstanding Advisor of the Year Nominee from the Office of the
Dean of Students at Purdue University.
        1998 Maria Canto Neuberger Memorial Research Award from the
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at Purdue University.
        1997 Honeywell Teaching Award from the Electrical and Computer
Engineering Department at Purdue University.
        1996 NSF Grant to participate in the US/Japan Student Forum in
Robotics.
        1996-1999 PhD. Fellowship, Brazilian Research Council, CNPq.
        1993 Scholarship, Brazilian Research Council, CNPq.

Srihari,
1. If I consider research than Prof 1 and 2 of UCF seems equally good to me
to Prof. 1 of UMC.
2. Prof1 and prof. 2 of UCF professors looks to be very experienced and
there are in all 4 profs for Vision there.
3. Though Professor DeSouza at UMC is not as experienced as UCF profs(in
terms of years of teaching), he has an added advantage of research in
Robotic Vision(which is my precise choice), he also is very flexible in
terms of choosing research topic. I have also received a reply form him,
that he will consider me for research in his lab(no financial assistance
right now). He also has a course plan designed just for Robotic Vision
specialization.
4. Though I am not considering it as a deciding factor, studying at UMC is
cheaper in comparison to UCF. Is'nt it?

Thanks a lot for this long reading. Now,
What would you suggest, after looking at the above information.
How important are the number of years of experience and awards of the
profs.

Sincerely,
Akshay.

*

*

wrote:

>> **
>>

>> Hi Srihari,
>>
>> Please find the links to the labs and departments below:
>>
>> 1. Univ. of Central Florida -
>> Labs -
>> http://vision.eecs.ucf.edu/,
>> http://cil.cs.ucf.edu/

> [...]