Akshay Jain | 1 Apr 14:02 2012
Picon

Re: (GRE Success! ) Select a Univ. from admits

Hi Srihari,

I did a search on the professors on CiteSeer and also looked through there publications. Please find my observations below (Sorry, if it seems very lengthy):

University of Central Florida:
There are 4 profs related to Vision who are members of 2 vision related labs. Of these 4,
profile of 2 looks very interesting. They are:

1. Dr Mubarak Shah: He is the head of Computer Vision lab. Has written some books and many journals on Computer Vision. Shows 198 results when searched on CITESEER. Has received several awards for best prof. etc and an award for bringing most funding to UCF. Is associated with UCF since 1986. On his CV it is written that 'According to Google the CV lab at UCF is the most visited Computer Vision lab in the world'. His CV alone with all the publications has 63 pages.
Has guided 14 PhD students and has 19Phd students right now. But only 1 MS student listed on website.

2. Dr Hassan Forroosh: He is the head of Computer Imaging Lab. Various related publications are listed on his website, from 1994 to present.  Dr. Foroosh is a senior member of IEEE, and was an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Image Processing in 2003-2008. In 2004, he was a recipient of an academic excellence award from Sun MicroSystems, and the Pierro Zamperoni award from the International Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR). He also received the Best Scientific Paper Award in the International Conference on Pattern Recognition of IAPR. His research has been sponsored by NASA, NSF, ONR, FPCE, and industry (as written on his website). A search on cite seer resulted in 13 results. Prior to UCF he was research scientist at UCB and UMDCP. Has done his PhD from France.

3. Niels da Vitoria Lobo: Has 3 patents on his name.

4. Marshall Tappen: Has done PhD from MIT. Has many publications listed. But said he does not advise grad students currently.

Research and publications of 1 and 2 are in line with the research I wish to pursue.

University of Missouri, Columbia:

1. Dr Guilherme de souza: Director of Vision Guided Intelligent Robotics Lab. This lab is listed by NASA for robotics. Has told that he will be happy to consider me as a grad student under him, though he cannot guarantee funding right now. He also insists that student choose the research topics they are interested in, rather than he giving a research topic.  Has published many papers on Robotic Vision and co-authored 3 books on Robotic Vision along with many journals. Search on CiteSeer resulted in 21 results with all the publication very interesting. His research excites me the most. Has done PhD from Purdue Univ.
Has received the following awards.
        2004 Outstanding Advisor of the Year Nominee from the Office of the Dean of Students at Purdue University.
        1998 Maria Canto Neuberger Memorial Research Award from the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at Purdue University.
        1997 Honeywell Teaching Award from the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at Purdue University.
        1996 NSF Grant to participate in the US/Japan Student Forum in Robotics.
        1996-1999 PhD. Fellowship, Brazilian Research Council, CNPq.
        1993 Scholarship, Brazilian Research Council, CNPq.

Srihari,
1. If I consider research than Prof 1 and 2 of UCF seems equally good to me to Prof. 1 of UMC.
2. Prof1 and prof. 2 of UCF professors looks to be very experienced and there are in all 4 profs for Vision there.
3. Though Professor DeSouza at UMC is not as experienced as UCF profs(in terms of years of teaching), he has an added advantage of research in Robotic Vision(which is my precise choice), he also is very flexible in terms of choosing research topic. I have also received a reply form him, that he will consider me for research in his lab(no financial assistance right now). He also has a course plan designed just for Robotic Vision specialization.
4. Though I am not considering it as a deciding factor, studying at UMC is cheaper in comparison to UCF. Is'nt it?

Thanks a lot for this long reading. Now,
What would you suggest, after looking at the above information.
How important are the number of years of experience and awards of the profs.

Sincerely,
Akshay.