From: Jay Smith <jsmith-ufQsX23B0zs <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Hybrid records in RDA
Newsgroups: gmane.education.libraries.autocat
Date: Friday 18th January 2013 18:44:32 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Thanks to Ann Williams for asking these questions about RDA.  I'm
particularly concerned that OCLC will make illegitimate changes to
transcribed fields in AACR2 records, with the results that she describes:
that they will no longer match the records in local catalogs (at least
those cataloged according to only 1 set of rules).  Further, permitting
non-transcribed data elements (those where the cataloger followed certain
rules for abbreviating terms and inserting Latin "et al." and "S.l." as
required) to be changed to RDA-speak would create a higher degree of
hybridization than was allowed when AACR2 headings were imposed on older
records.

My hackles instantly rise when I see an explanation beginning, "You already
have hybrid records in your catalog...."  This, unfortunately, is not a
good answer to concerns about what may happen to the body of records that
follows AACR2 and seemed to fit our needs until just this second when RDA
came along.

I am still waiting for a nationally accepted display standard that would
give us some reason to make the changes that RDA proposes, or other changes
that may occur to us in the years to come.  There is no reason, for
example, why such a structure could not convert *on the fly* such terms as
et al. and S.l. without disturbing the underlying data.  Once we have
agreed on what information we want to display, and how we should do it, we
may have a clearer idea what data to record and how to code it.

Jay Towne Smith
Senior Cataloger
San Francisco Public Library

[email protected]

Official SFPL Use Only

Official SFPL use only

AUTOCAT quoting guide: http://www.cwu.edu/~dcc/Autocat/copyright.html
E-mail AUTOCAT listowners:
[email protected]
Search AUTOCAT archives:  http://listserv.syr.edu/archives/autocat.html
  By posting messages to AUTOCAT, the author does not cede copyright