From: Eric Hellman <eric-TUvVahDcDULQT0dZR+AlfA <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: ISBN linking to Wikipedia
Newsgroups: gmane.education.web4lib
Date: Monday 3rd December 2007 17:46:21 UTC (over 9 years ago)
A bit more than a year ago, Lars Aronsson suggested to the Web4Lib
list that it would be really nifty to have a "reverse lookup" facility
to enable links to Wikipedia based on ISBNs cited in Wikipedia
articles. Many of us thought this suggestion was really exciting- Tim
Spalding did some nice things with it, for example- but I think the
idea of ISBN-Wikipedia lookup is just the nub of an idea that will
dramatically change the way we organize, navigate and think about our
libraries.

Last week, we quietly announced the addition of a Wikipedia article
lookup facility to OCLC's Worldcat xISBN service. The xISBN service
groups ISBNs into works based on the entire Worldcat data set. This
means that the service will connect Wikipedia citations to any of the
ISBNs associated with the cited work. xISBN is an xml-based "grid
service" designed to help libraries plug into the data without
worrying too much about the wiring.

For more information on using the Worldcat xISBN service to get
Wikipedia articles, see http://xisbn.worldcat.org/xisbnadmin/doc/api.htm
Here's an example of how to access the service:
http://xisbn.worldcat.org/webservices/xid/isbn/9789574760442?method=getEditions&format=xml&library=wikipedia&fl=*

During the implementation, Xiaoming Liu, the developer who is
continuing to enhance the xISBN service, suggested that instead of
working on a Wikipedia-specific service, we should generalize the
functionality to encompass any sort of identifier-based collection. So
that's what we did. We're offering wikipedia as our first production
"library". To demonstrate how this functionality might be useful,
we've also created "libraries" out of two of the most popular book-
sharing websites.

I hope that many of you find this service to be useful.

Eric

Eric Hellman, Director                      OCLC, Global Product
Management
[email protected]                           2 Broad
St., Suite 208
tel 1-973-509-7800                           Bloomfield, NJ 07003
http://openly.oclc.org/

CD: 3ms