From: Andrew Hankinson <andrew.hankinson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Watson - IBM's "question-answering" machine (potential implications for libraries?)
Newsgroups: gmane.education.web4lib
Date: Monday 7th February 2011 00:06:25 UTC (over 5 years ago)
AI and question answering may, or may not, be advanced by Watson. That's
open for interpretation.

What is new is the speed at which it can do it, and the comprehensiveness
of the language understanding it displays. Watson approaches the speed of
conversational question-answering, and begins to understand complex
linguistic structures like puns or implicit meanings within the same amount
of time that a human can process it.

This video is shot like a movie, which is a bit annoying, but it gives a
bit more context at the real challenge behind the Jeopardy stunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G2H3DZ8rNc

-Andrew

On 2011-02-06, at 6:53 PM, Robert Balliot wrote:

> Bernie, I didn't know you were trying to change my mind. I am honored
that
> you would care what I think.
>
> IBM is marketing a product that can demonstrate IBM's superiority in
> supercomputing.    Jeopardy will sell advertising while mass marketing a
> participatory non-scientific evaluation that should raise its stock
> value.  Side effects may include references to John Henry and the
> Steam Powered <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_(folklore)>
Hammer and

http://us.mc571.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=bgsloan2-/E1597aS9LQAvxti[email protected]>

http://us.mc571.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=rballiot-Re5JQEeQqe8Avxti[email protected]>>