From: Karl Maihofer <ignoramus <at> gmx.de>
Subject: How to define TODOs within continuous text the best way?
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
Date: Saturday 28th March 2009 14:23:40 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Hi,

I write some articles in Org-Mode and use the html and latex export
function. I'm wondering about how to define TODOs within the text the
best way. I hope my bad english lasts to explain what I mean exactly:

I'd like to define a TODO like in the example below. When there is a
task somewhere in my text (I want to look something up etc.) I want to
define this task at the relevant position in my text. So I can lookup
all TODOs using the agenda-view and jump directly to the position in my
text.

The problem is that a TODO is always a new heading and so it is exported
in my html(latex)-version as a heading. I would prefer to format a TODO
as a text box or at least to exclude it from the html(latex)-export so
that it is only visible in org-mode - not in the exported version. But
when I exclude the TODO so that it isn't exported anymore, not only the
TODO itself but also the text below the TODO isn't exported until there
is a new heading - because the TODO itself is a heading, too.

I know that this is because Org-Mode is an outliner-mode, TODOs always
have to be defined with a beginning "*". But is there any possibility to
solve the problem? How do you define TODOs within the text when you use
Org-Mode as an authoring tool?

Perhaps it is possible to define TODOs as a very deep-level heading,
that isn't needed, like "********** TODO text" and change the export
function that this level isn't exported as a heading but as a
"div"-Container? Or every heading that contains "TODO" is not exported
as a heading but as a div-container?

What is the best way to handle TODOs within continuous text?

Kind regards,
Karl

* Heading 1

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy
eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam
voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet
clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit
amet.

* TODO Check again (or ********** TODO text?)

This paragraph still belongs to heading 1. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut
labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et
accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no
sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

* Heading 2