For reference, this is how i finally got org-protocol to work in
chrome on ubuntu 10.10:
The problem was that chrome was running xdg-open for handling external
protocols. xdg-open, or it's companion gvfs-open, couldn't parse the
rather complex URL which the org-capture bookmarklet generated.
So i realized that xdg-open is just a shell-script so then i modified
the function open-gnome() in it like this:
# Handle org-protocol
if (echo "$1" | grep -q '^org-protocol://'); then
# This is the standard way...
if gvfs-open --help 2>/dev/null 1>&2; then
Suddenly all works. Remember to back-up xdg-open if you want to try this.
2010/9/30 Sebastian Rose :
> Sebastian Rose writes:
>> Mattias Jämting writes:
>>> Yes i'm running a pretty standard Ubuntu 10.04 setup.
>>> I managed to get it working on chrome by removing the
>>> encodeURIComponent command on location.href.
>>> I could simulate it in the terminal like this.
>>> [email protected]:~$ xdg-open org-protocol://capture://http%3A%2F%2Forgmode.org
>>> Error showing URL: Operation not supported
>>> [email protected]:~$ xdg-open org-protocol://capture://http://orgmode.org
>>> [email protected]:~$ (worked)
>>> Strange that it worked in FF. Maybe Chrome and FF encodes URIs
>> I just was going to blame Google.
>> Looking into the ECMA standard, I found this:
>> 15.1.3 URI Handling Function Properties
>> ... ...
>> A URI is composed of a sequence of components separated by
>> component separators. The general form
>> Scheme : First / Second ; Third ? Fourth
>> where the italicised names represent components and the
>> “;” and “?” are reserved characters used as
>> encodeURI and decodeURI functions are intended to work with
>> complete URIs; they assume that any reserved characters in
>> URI are intended to have special meaning and so are not
>> encoded. The encodeURIComponent and decodeURIComponent
>> are intended to work with the individual component parts of a
>> URI; they assume that any reserved characters represent text
>> so must be encoded so that they are not interpreted as
>> characters when the component is part of a complete URI.
>> That document states "encodeURI" is to be used with complete URIs (as
>> the name says...). Funny. Chrome is the only browser that works like
>> that :)
>> I'll go and adjust the docs.
>> Thanks for your Report!!
> Actually --- errr --- there is nothing to adjust. The docs are exactly
> This is because of some örfflkjsgs in xdg-open.
> No one ever said something about xdg-open. Org-protocol is supposed to
> work with emacsclient:
> [email protected]:~$ emacsclient org-protocol://capture://http%3A%2F%2Forgmode.org
Mattias Jämting www.jwd.se | [email protected] | 070-6760182
Internet, Coding, Design, Usablility - since 1998
Emacs-orgmode mailing list
Please use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.