From: =?utf-8?Q?S=C3=A9bastien_Vauban?= <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Footnotes in LaTeX export
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
Date: Wednesday 27th April 2011 08:45:39 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Hi Nick and all,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Thomas S. Dye  wrote:
>> What is an ECM?
>
> I don't know how widespread it is in French-speaking milieus, but I
believe
> Seb Vauban is responsible for introducing it into this mailing list (see
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/16375/focus=16453
and its parent
> thread) and Nicolas Goaziou has perpetuated its use: it stands for
Exemple
> Complet Minimal (= Minimal Complete Example). Between the two of them,
> they'll drag us all through remedial French class :-)

Yes, I think I am responsible for this viral marketing of using the term
ECM
here. It comes from the excellent FCTT newsgroup (french.comp.text.tex)
about
LaTeX.

I must admit this term, when understood, is excellent for describing what
we
expect from people posting questions about troubles.

(Free) translation/explanation of the concept of "Exemple Complet Minimal":

    When you encounter a problem, when Org does not output what you expect,
it
    is essential to attach to the problem description an example of code
that
    allows reproducing it. This example should be complete and minimal, if
    possible, this is called ECM.

    - Complete :: the example should be usable without adding a single
line.

      In particular, your Org files must contain the basic headers, the
      SEQ_TODO customizations, etc., whatever is needed to reproduce the
      problem.

    - Minimal :: the example does not contain any redundant or useless
code.

      This implies that this is not your entire Org file of 300 pages. It
is
      essential to remove all the things that are not necessary to
reproduce
      the problem.

> Maybe it should go into the FAQ...

Could be, yes. Using the French acronym, or "inventing" MCE?  I stand for
ECM.

Best regards,
  Seb

--