From: Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: direct link to mails in gmail
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
Date: Thursday 20th October 2011 07:06:16 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 4:41 AM, Torsten Wagner
wrote:

> Hi,
> I just figured out some kind of very interesting possibility.
> All the personal data and security feelings aside, I use a gmail account
> since I share it between many different computers.
>
> In my org-files, I would sometimes like to link to a particular mail
e.g.,
> for reference purpose.
> Today I noticed that each email in my google mail account has a unique
and
> fixed URL.
> Thus, I gave it a try
>
> 1. Open your gmail account (log-in)
> 2. Open the mail you like to refer too.
> 3. Copy the URL
> 4. Add the URL as a link (C-c C-l) to your org-file
>
> After that, clicking on the link will open the mail directly in your
> standard webbrowser. If you logged out from google mail in between, you
are
> ask to log-in first, after that select the link again.

That is really nice - and I used it to link to gmail emails from rtm - but
there is one thing youi should be aware of: the link is only valid, if the
mail keeps the label. As an example: If I copy the link from the inbox,
paste it into an org file, and *then* archive the mail, the link is, to my
knowledge, not valid any more, as it contains the label in it.

So: it works, but it is essential to copy either the link when the label is
selected which will be permanent, or, saver, copy the url in the All Mail
folder.

Cheers and thanks for the tip,

Rainer

> But it is getting even better. You are not only able to link to
particular
> mails within org-mode, but also to google mail labels (folders) or search
> results.
>
> To make it even more org-mode friendly one can set-up org-capture in your
> webbrowser [1].
>
> I added the following to the org-capture-templates list
> ("g" "Gmail-link" entry (file+headline "~/org/work.org" "Gmail-links")
> "%A")
>
> Thus, pressing the assigned button in your browser and emacs will ask you
> what kind of link you want to add to your file. Press g for gmail and
enter
> the description for the link (this could be done automatically, but I
find
> it to long and not helpful). You will find the link in your capture
buffer
> in emacs for further processing
>
> I really like it and I hope others find this useful too.
> Not sure about the safety issue to link to URLs within your gmail
account.
> Maybe others can comment on this.
>
> All the best
>
> Totti