Glenn Parsons | 14 Mar 18:05 2005

RE: Recharter IPoRPR WG

Italo,

Thanks for the review.

IP and MPLS encapsulation over RPR are in charter -- though I can see that is not completely clear from the latest version of the charter.

And the intent is coordination with all of ITU-T SG15 with Q9 being the coordination point as it has been in the past.

Cheers,
Glenn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Italo.Busi <at> alcatel.it [mailto:Italo.Busi <at> alcatel.it]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 8:16 AM
To: Parsons, Glenn [CAR:1A14:EXCH]
Subject: RE: [IPORPR] Recharter IPoRPR WG

Glenn,

I think that the group should also cover the mapping of MPLS over RPR.

Moreover, regarding ITU SG15 relationships, I think we need to include also Q.11/15 and Q.12/15 in addition to Q.9/15 because all of these three questions are currently considering RPR.

Below you can find a proposed revised version of the "Description of Working Group".

Best regards, Italo

Description of Working Group:

Resilient Packet Rings (RPR), developed within the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG, provides substantial enhancements in both efficiency and flexibility over current bi-directional ring topologies. Benefits of resilient packet rings include spatial re-use (full utilization of both counter-rotating rings) while maintaining protection switching during media faults, as well as defined mechanisms for topology discovery, congestion control, and protection switching. Reference the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG at http://www.ieee802.org/17/ for further information.  IEEE 802.17-2004 is currently published and work is in progress on bridging enhancements.

The IPORPR Working Group will produce two documents:

   1) An IPORPR Framework that describes some of the features and
      characteristics of 802.17 RPR, and how they might be exploited
      by, e.g., IP or MPLS. For example, an RPR ring can be accessed
      in a number of ways: it can be viewed as a "dumb" LAN supporting
      traditional broadcast a la Ethernet (called "basic mode"), or its
      advanced features could be exploited.

   2) An IPORPR definition of how to transport IP and MPLS over 802.17 RPR in
      "basic mode". This document will cover encapsulation formats
      (e.g., IPv4/IPv6, MPLS), how to perform address resolution (e.g., ARP/ND), IP
      multicast transmission, priority mapping to the RPR
      "serviceClass", etc.

There are no formal liaisons between the IPORPR working group and other standards bodies.  However, cross participation is encouraged in the key RPR activities in these standards bodies:

- IEEE 802.17  (http://www.ieee802.org/17/)
- ITU-T SG15 Q9 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q9.html)
- ITU-T SG15 Q11 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q11.html)
- ITU-T SG15 Q12 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15-q12.html)