From: Frank Ellermann <nobody <at> xyzzy.claranet.de>
Subject: Proposal or DoS attack (?)
Newsgroups: gmane.ietf.tools
Date: Saturday 15th April 2006 09:55:48 UTC (over 12 years ago)
Hi, at the moment all occurences of "RFC nnnn" in Wikipedia are
automagically linked to http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfcnnnn.txt
for
numbers nnnn.

The target URL can be set per Mediawiki project (Wikipedia,
Wiktionary, Wikisource, different languages, etc.), example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Rfcurl

I'd prefer http://tools.ietf.org/html/nnnn
as target URL, not
only because it's shorter:  The simple Rfcmarkup HTML supports
links to individual sections and pages while keeping the layout
of the official plain text RFC.  Rfcmarkup links everything
that it identifies as link, allowing easy browsing.  And most
important it adds links to errata and updates where available.

It took me ages to update many RFC 1891..1894 by 3461..3464 on
Wikipedia, or 2048 by 4288+4289, with Rfcmarkup this would be
far less important, because it directly says "obsolete" where
that's clear, example: http://tools.ietf.org/html/2048

But Wikipedia might generate quite a lot of hits, can the tools
server handle this?  I'll copy that question to the talk page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Rfcurl
when it got
a permalink on GMaNe.
                        Bye, Frank