From: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik <at> levkowetz.com>
Subject: Re: Proposal or DoS attack (?)
Newsgroups: gmane.ietf.tools
Date: Saturday 15th April 2006 13:25:12 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Hi Frank,

on 2006-04-15 11:55 Frank Ellermann said the following:
> Hi, at the moment all occurences of "RFC nnnn" in Wikipedia are
> automagically linked to http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfcnnnn.txt
for
> numbers nnnn.
> But Wikipedia might generate quite a lot of hits, can the tools
> server handle this?  I'll copy that question to the talk page
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Rfcurl
when it got
> a permalink on GMaNe.

The tools servers are not loaded hard currently (except when
badly behaved robots generate script-invoking queries at a much
higher rate than all other traffic).  I think we'll risk it --
if I see that the load becomes a problem I'll arrange for the
html pages to be permanently cached and served up from disk once
they are generated.  I already do this for the generated .pdf
files, so it should be a small fix.

We'll also have an additional (third) server with oodles of disk
space coming online shortly.  Go for it.

Regards,

	Henrik

CD: 2ms