From: Jordi Clariana <jordi.clariana <at> atrapalo.com>
Subject: Re: IPMI Over LAN not working
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.hardware.dell.poweredge
Date: Monday 13th February 2012 17:24:44 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hi all,

After some days talking with Dell support, they found the solution. It
seems that some Broadcom NICs don't have the management controller
activated, so they do not work over lan. The last clue, after a lot of
tests, was seeing that after powering the server, without turning it on,
the NIC did not get link. The procedure to activate the managment
controller is this:

1. Download the Dos based Broadcom utility for the affected system model
from the Dell support Drivers & Download site.
(Bcom_LAN_14.2.x_DOSUtilities_A03.exe) Broadcom NetXtreme Family of
Adapters DOS Utility

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/es/es/esbsdt1/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=29DKK&FileId=2731095676

2. Find the path to the uxdiag executable (example)
\Broadcom\DosUtils\Userdiag\NetXtremeII

3. Run the following command:
uxdiag -t abcd –mfw 1

4. After the command completes, the iDrac6 communication will become
responsive to pings in approximately one minute..

Unfortunately it only works with DOS (or maybe Windows, I haven't tried).
So, as the server works with Linux, I had to get myself a DOS boot USB in
order to fix the controller (shame on Broadcom!).

I hope it helps somebody else with same problem.

Cheers,

*Jordi Clariana*
*Senior System Administrator*

ATRAPALO.COM <http://www.atrapalo.com/>